Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Print
24" Albatros DII (Read 8068 times)
Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Re: 24" Albatros DII
Reply #76 - Nov 25th, 2011, 5:39am

The paint scheme is one I chose from the datafile. It does however match with one of the paint schemes outlined in research done on DI/DII painting during the period. I found the research on paint schemes in one of the links on this forum for DII's, just don't remember which one right off hand. As for the colors, they are all Modelmaster acrylics as follows: Pale Green, Medium Green, and Burnt Sienna. I based my choices on what I figured were the closest matches to the research article. Oh, the underside of the body and wings and undercarriage are Duck Egg blue.

IP Logged

jace314

I Love Scale Modeling!

Reply #75 - Nov 25th, 2011, 12:10am

Oh, interesting... I didnt know you you were painting the fuse? I thought you would of stained like most. Was this a scheme from a real one, or you made it up? By the way, when I get to the paint stage for my wings, I might have to ask you about some of the colors you chose, if thats cool.

Happy Thanksgiving, and your lucky you got to work on it! I have been stuck at in-laws all day! Great Food though...

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #74 - Nov 24th, 2011, 9:50pm

been busy cooking. But, have had plenty of time to work on some of the paint work. got the crosses brushed on. Plan on hand painting the borders. Hope to get more done before dinner. Have a wonderful thanksgiving all.

p_016.jpg (32 KB | )
p_016.jpg

IP Logged

EricH

I Love Scale Modeling!

Reply #73 - Nov 24th, 2011, 9:42am

Yum!  Happy Thanksgiving!

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #72 - Nov 24th, 2011, 7:12am

got the replacement motor today. Yay ! however...the wife wouldn't let me work on the plane at all today. So I put my energy to work on another project...making 2 chocolate cream pies Cheesy

p_013.jpg (29 KB | )
p_013.jpg

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #71 - Nov 21st, 2011, 5:24am

well, couldn't stand sitting around all day and getting nothing done. So, I piddled around and got the fuse covered, filled, sanded and ready to paint. Initial painting is complete minus touchups and emblems/details. Will post pics tomorrow. Night all.

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #70 - Nov 21st, 2011, 2:36am

yes, it is the powerup 250 plus. Just a fluke that the setscrew was loose and got sucked into the motor. Waiting to hear back from them tomorrow. First problem i've had in all the orders i've done with them. as for the holes through the foam, just used solid wire(1/16) to drive through it, then slid in a guide tube. Hardest part on the foam was getting the angle i wanted to drive the wire through at.

IP Logged

jace314

I Love Scale Modeling!

Reply #69 - Nov 20th, 2011, 10:52pm

Sorry to hear Scott! Are they sending you a new one for free, or was it something you did? Its the Power Up 250 right?

Hey, how did you do the holes through the foam in the tail for the control lines? Did you also put some sort of guide tubes back there?
Thanks,
Jace

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #68 - Nov 20th, 2011, 10:26pm

More delays...tested the motor after having pulled it apart and removing the bellhousing mounting setscrew that came loose and got sucked in. The result....motor is no good. After pulling it apart again I found that when it sucked in the setscrew it cut some of the motor windings apart. So....probably no more work on it until i get the new motor in.

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #67 - Nov 19th, 2011, 2:12am

Hope to make progress this weekend. In the meantime, here are the photos. Sorry for the quality. Don't like my camera...or it just doesn't like me. The first is of my servos. The second shows the spinner still on the dremel post. The last shows the top of the fuse planked. I used cardstock on the tail as I felt it would be easier to make the control wire penetrations through.

AlbDII_001.JPG (155 KB | )
AlbDII_001.JPG
AlbDII_002.JPG (145 KB | )
AlbDII_002.JPG
AlbDII_003.JPG (154 KB | )
AlbDII_003.JPG

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #66 - Nov 18th, 2011, 5:39am

plan on posting pics tomorrow. was too busy today. Not sure if i'm going to do rigging wires yet. I have the Datafile for the DI/DII and have been studying the photos for rigging wire locations. Think I have most of them figured out. With everything stacked on my scale(all parts that will be on or in the plane including my 1.7 oz battery..ugh), it scales right about 7 oz. I am hoping to cut my battery weight, so am looking for a different battery to use than the 1000mah one i have. Also, the scale weight was with the micro servos, which i swapped out with sub-micros, further cutting my weight. Haven't scaled it again yet.

IP Logged

John M Oshust

I Love aeroplanes my wife
calls me a "WINGNUT!"

Cranford, NJ/Gibson, PA
Reply #65 - Nov 18th, 2011, 2:26am

I hear what you are saying about the flight wires.... rigging.  You have to collect and study photos and diagrams to get an accurate handle on how many, and where!

So many planes, so little time!

IP Logged

jace314

I Love Scale Modeling!

Reply #64 - Nov 17th, 2011, 10:25pm

NICE!!! Glad to hear thats fixed. Any pics of the sheeted fuse, and spinner?  Do you know what your weight is so far? My balsa framework of all components, servos, motor is right around 2.5oz. I think thats looking ok so far.

Are you goung to do rigging, if so do you happen to have a good view on where all the connection points are for the rigging lines? All the pics online can be alittle tough to figure out exactly where the rigging goes.

Thanks,
Jace

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #63 - Nov 17th, 2011, 10:08pm

After contacting my supplier, they recommended taking apart the motor using the shaft replacement procedure. So, I did that and found that the setscrew mounting the bellhousing to the shaft came out and got sucked into the motor by the magnets. Problem fixed Smiley

IP Logged

Scott Oefinger

I Love Scale Modeling!

pahrump, nevada
Reply #62 - Nov 17th, 2011, 12:45am

doing the foam spinner portion was easy. I used a threaded self tapping disc mount from my dremel to hold the base plywood. A light spray of contact cement allowed to dry a few minutes then put the foam block on it. Set it into my dremel, spun it on lowest speed and gently used the sanding block. It was quick and easy to watch the shape that way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Print