AerodromeRC
Forum Administrator

Designing on the edge

Portland OR
Re: Happy 2017
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2017, 3:08am

Philip A wrote on Jan 15th, 2017, 2:54am:
Kay,

I just sliced open the bags of wood that came from Manzano for the big Dr.I.  Much to my surprise, along with things like laser cut LE stock, was was what looked like a bundle of most of the wood stick stock.  I didn't expect it to be so complete.  Is there anything left to get?  Looks like I can start sooner  Smiley

In most of the more expensive kits, I did specify to add the majority of strip and sheet wood to finish the model. However, I do not know what is sold now. I am glad that you got the extra wood in your kit!

Kay

"No, they are not toys, they are flying works of art!"
IP Logged

Philip A

I Love Scale Modeling!

China Lake, CA
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2017, 2:54am

Kay,

I just sliced open the bags of wood that came from Manzano for the big Dr.I.  Much to my surprise, along with things like laser cut LE stock, was was what looked like a bundle of most of the wood stick stock.  I didn't expect it to be so complete.  Is there anything left to get?  Looks like I can start sooner  Smiley

IP Logged

AerodromeRC
Forum Administrator

Designing on the edge

Portland OR
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2017, 7:26pm

Philip A wrote on Jan 4th, 2017, 2:23pm:
Well that's certainly understandable.  I'm not sure it's WWI specifically, more that the entire building side of the hobby appears to have shrunk, even though the ARF side has made lots of things (motors, electronics, etc.) easier and cheaper to get.  The centenary doesn't seem to be helping drum up interest as much as I'd have expected, but in general I don't see the fascination with flying and aces out in the culture at large much anymore (speaking from the perspective of growing up in the 80s).  This sector of the hobby definitely isn't something you can do for a living anymore.

I have the plans for the 1/6 D.II, and I agree its a fine design.  I certainly appreciate the additional details that you've worked out.  It's definitely on my short list, but with the DR.I up next, it may be a while.  I had the idea of following the centenary, i.e., the smaller D.II in 2016, the Dr.I in 17, and either the Pfalz D.VIII or SSW D.III in 18, then coming back to the larger D.II afterwards.  As I've said before, I'm late to the party!  We'll see how that goes, I'm skeptical of keeping any schedule, and the Fokker's not on the bench yet.

There is a recent-ish post on the Scout from a new builder, did you see that one?

And speaking of the centennial, I've been watching The Great War on YouTube.  If you haven't seen it, it's a week by week summary of what happened each week of the war, 100 years later.  Pretty fascinating.  I found it last summer, and had a year's worth to catch up on!

So are we the only two on here for the moment?  Anybody else out there?

We did see the beginnings of a generational change in modeling years ago. It is hard to compete with the immersive environment of modern video games so the younger gens simply aren't interested.  When I say that I am a WWI designer, most say that they know some old person or their grandfather builds those. Too bad. I may become a lost art.

Yes, I did notice that new member's post. I had answered him by email but he apparently wanted another view. The new Scout is such a sweet model and it is a bookend to the very first design I offered back in 2002. That Scout was a collaboration with Peter Rake. I eventually bought the rights to six of his designs and adapted them.

I am a big fan of Youtube. I'll check out that channel, Thanks!

Kay

IP Logged

Philip A

I Love Scale Modeling!

China Lake, CA
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2017, 2:23pm

Well that's certainly understandable.  I'm not sure it's WWI specifically, more that the entire building side of the hobby appears to have shrunk, even though the ARF side has made lots of things (motors, electronics, etc.) easier and cheaper to get.  The centenary doesn't seem to be helping drum up interest as much as I'd have expected, but in general I don't see the fascination with flying and aces out in the culture at large much anymore (speaking from the perspective of growing up in the 80s).  This sector of the hobby definitely isn't something you can do for a living anymore.

I have the plans for the 1/6 D.II, and I agree its a fine design.  I certainly appreciate the additional details that you've worked out.  It's definitely on my short list, but with the DR.I up next, it may be a while.  I had the idea of following the centenary, i.e., the smaller D.II in 2016, the Dr.I in 17, and either the Pfalz D.VIII or SSW D.III in 18, then coming back to the larger D.II afterwards.  As I've said before, I'm late to the party!  We'll see how that goes, I'm skeptical of keeping any schedule, and the Fokker's not on the bench yet.

There is a recent-ish post on the Scout from a new builder, did you see that one?

And speaking of the centennial, I've been watching The Great War on YouTube.  If you haven't seen it, it's a week by week summary of what happened each week of the war, 100 years later.  Pretty fascinating.  I found it last summer, and had a year's worth to catch up on!

So are we the only two on here for the moment?  Anybody else out there?

IP Logged

AerodromeRC
Forum Administrator

Designing on the edge

Portland OR
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2017, 6:33pm

Philip A wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017, 3:01pm:
I usually do too!

By the way, I flew the 36" Albatros D.II from the dormant grass at the local high school on two successive days last week (flights 8 - 11, by the log), and it was perhaps the best time flying I've had.  Crystal clear skies, dead calm, 54 degrees, and about 2400 feet closer to a warm sun (it is after all the high desert).  The Albatros is a joy to fly, and gets better every time; I'm still learning how to keep it slow, and spend most of my time doing touch and goes.  I'm over 50/50 on ending the landings right side up!

It definitely gave me the hankerin' to get started on the 1/6 Dr.I.  I did a bit of bench cleanup, and have a bit of balsa inventory and motor sizing to do.

So, Kay, working on anything?  Roland Walfisch by chance?  Wink

Hi Philip,
The Albatros series all make excellent flying models. I think the DII is probably the best of the lot in that respect though.

As for design, I'm in a doldrums on that as I did a huge push to release three new models last year or so and well frankly, nobody commented on them. Bert Ayers did an excellent build thread on the Bristol Scout 1/8th scale but the smaller 1/16 scale variant seems to be an underappreciated offering. The other 1/6th scale Albatros DII got no response at all and I consider it to be one of my finest designs. So, my incentive to design more has lagged.

Forum participation also has lagged severely so I view it as the demand for WWI designs has diminished. I still remember the hey day in WWI modeling back before the recession when I designed a dozen models every year and had plans for hundreds more.  

Kay

IP Logged

Philip A

I Love Scale Modeling!

China Lake, CA
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2017, 3:01pm

I usually do too!

By the way, I flew the 36" Albatros D.II from the dormant grass at the local high school on two successive days last week (flights 8 - 11, by the log), and it was perhaps the best time flying I've had.  Crystal clear skies, dead calm, 54 degrees, and about 2400 feet closer to a warm sun (it is after all the high desert).  The Albatros is a joy to fly, and gets better every time; I'm still learning how to keep it slow, and spend most of my time doing touch and goes.  I'm over 50/50 on ending the landings right side up!

It definitely gave me the hankerin' to get started on the 1/6 Dr.I.  I did a bit of bench cleanup, and have a bit of balsa inventory and motor sizing to do.

So, Kay, working on anything?  Roland Walfisch by chance?  Wink

IP Logged

AerodromeRC
Forum Administrator

Designing on the edge

Portland OR
Happy 2017
Jan 1st, 2017, 7:28pm

Happy New Year!

Although you all might think that this forum has gone dormant. I still check it every day.

Kay

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print